switching domain

Problems with forum installation, administration, moderation and other phpBB related support.

Moderator: Moderators

switching domain

Postby Glitch on Mon May 21, 2007 9:40 pm

I have switched my domain to a different one, but it still loads the files from the old one.
What do i have to do to change it...but still keep the files.
http://www.your-fantasy.co.nr <<the next generation site, everything youll ever want in one site, Graphics, Sony, etc.
Glitch

Postby DooBDee on Tue May 22, 2007 3:22 pm

What do you mean exactly by "loads the files from the old one"? Please explain so we can help you.
DooBDee
Website Ninja
DooBDee.net
DooBDee

Postby pentapenguin on Mon May 28, 2007 4:24 am

Have you pointed your domain to your new host's DNS servers?
pentapenguin

Postby Glitch on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:12 pm

[quote user="DooBDee" post="89656"]What do you mean exactly by "loads the files from the old one"? Please explain so we can help you.[/quote]
I can type in the new domain name...but it still says its loading from the old domain.
http://www.your-fantasy.co.nr <<the next generation site, everything youll ever want in one site, Graphics, Sony, etc.
Glitch

Re: switching domain

Postby fiesta53 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:31 am

hi i am after switching my domain over from the forumup on to one i own how do i do it as i want people to be able to view and join my forum if possable
fiesta53

Postby husker on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:18 pm

Are you running on a free forum host? If so, you will most likely not be able to transfer files to a new free host. The only possible way would be to contact your host and receive a backup. However, this usually will cost money. I would suggest contacting your host and asking them about your options.
husker

Postby NewAdmin on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:10 pm

the best way is to redirect from the old domain pages to your new domain homepage with 301. 1st of all you'll have all backlinks saved to your new domain name so you wont lost SERP in google. 2d if someone will find old domain pages he will get to your new domain and website instantly.
you also could just write rewrite rules in .htaccess but is a bit complicated to explain you should read more about .htaccess rewrite rules in the internet.
NO PMs or emails. If you have questions please post topics!
done.. vanished ...
NewAdmin
Administrator
Administrator

Return to phpBB Support